Lots of things scare me. Like most fears, most of mine are ridiculous. I fear failure, even though I've experienced a lot of success in my life. Maybe I succeed because I fear failure and don't want to have to face myself. And my other fears are pretty irrational:
1. Dinosaurs. Terrified of them. You know that practical joke that went viral where someone put a big old fake Tyrannosaurus outside a guy's window? Would have given me a heart attack. For real. You say dinosaurs have been extinct for millions of years? Doesn't matter. They're still scary. Jurassic Park on movie night? Not happening.
2. Sharks. I love water. I love to swim. I only go in the ocean in large groups and armed with a harpoon gun. Jaws makes me run from the room. On the other hand, I did watch Sharknado recently. Maybe I'm recovering.
3. Approaching strangers. It's a funny thing. I can walk up to people who are doing a job and ask for help. This is not a problem in Home Depot or any other place of business. But I cannot walk up to someone in a social situation and introduce myself. What are they going to do to me? Probably nothing dire.
When you get right down to it, I'm afraid of two things: failure and being eaten. Because fear of approaching strangers is really a fear of rejection and rejection is a kind of failure. And dinosaurs and sharks eat people. Actually, so does rejection. It eats the soul. So maybe I have just one fear, of being eaten.
Do you have any irrational fears? Share your fear in a comment to be entered into my Halloween drawing for a $20 Amazon gift card.
Just do two things to enter:
- Leave a comment on this post about a fear or, if you have none, some helpful advice for one of mine.
- Include an email address so I can contact you should you win.
I will draw the winner on Monday morning, November 3rd.
Happy Halloween! Take a few minutes to visit the other participants in this Spooktacular Blog Hop, too. There are more drawings for more great prizes.