Monday, September 8, 2014

Fabulous Five Blog Hop Redux

I was tagged again for the Fabulous Five Blog Hop, this time by Kim Fielding. Because she’s such a lovely person, and wonderful writer (if you love fantasy, read Brute and The Pillar… really, you must), I’ve decided why not post some additional answers. For my original, and longer, answers, click HERE.

1. What am I working on?

The sequel to Thick as Thieves, of course! In addition to the works I mentioned in my previous post, Kim Fielding (who tagged me) and I have talked about writing a joint story featuring her characters from Brute and my characters from Thieves. You know, two big hulky guys and the men they love. I can’t imagine greater fun! I really have to nail that one down and just do it.

Just last week I turned in Among Giants”, a short story featuring Vorgell and Madd, and I hope it will be accepted for an anthology being released around Thanksgiving. 

2. How does my work differ from others in its genre?

Readers often mention a sense of fun. That’s most evident in my newest work because I’ve started to really cut loose. Unleash the hounds! But seriously, I’m at a point in my writing career where I just want to have fun with it. Write a good story, be a little different. I have noticed I don’t torture my characters as much as some other writers do. In my defense, however, I do give them interesting and often dangerous lives.

3. Why do I write what I do?

I like to entertain and that includes entertaining myself, so I often write to follow notions that amuse or intrigue me. Sometimes I write to explore interesting settings. I have written almost every day since I was 13 years old and would write stories even if no one ever read them.

My first M/M story will never see print because it’s too smutty, but I wrote it to explore a notion about sexuality in one of my mega-epic fantasy series (that also has yet to see print, but I love it to pieces). I so enjoyed writing about men as romantic and sexual partners that I kept doing it, though I also continue to write about MF pairings.

4How does my writing process work?

I’m very visual. Once I have the germ of a story, I compile notebooks and hand scribble character profiles, notes, pictures, charts and other material. I hand draw maps, charts, genealogies if needed, sketches of characters, and mechanical diagrams. Most of my efforts are not worthy of being shown, but for an example here’s a map I drew of a city called Dazunor-Rannuli. It (the city, not the map) will show up in a book, Sordaneon, I will be publishing soon.

I find I am more prolific if I drink coffee.

5. What’s next on the blog hop?

Darned if I know. As I did before, I’m tagging anyone who wants to take part. Just answer these five questions and you’re good to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment