Friday, May 31, 2013

Welcome to the Backlist Blog Hop!


In the publishing world, anything out for more than three months is old as dirt. Still, dust one of them off and you may find a new favorite story or author. If you like reading high fantasy adventure and romance, you might like one of my backlist books. For example, my dog likes this one...


For a chance to win a free book or the $10 gift card, just answer this question: science fiction, or fantasy? I’m trying to figure out what to write next and could use the help. Simply leave a comment with your answer and your email (so I can contact you should you win) on this post or any of my backlist posts through Sunday. 

Winners will be chosen by random drawing Monday morning, June 2nd.

What Are the Prizes?

For each 10 comments I will pick one commenter to win their choice of any one book in my backlist in any format. This includes paperbacks.

I will also pick one winner for a $10 gift card from their choice of Amazon, Dreamspinner, or ARe.

I’m a fairly new (and slow) writer, so all my books are shown on the sidebar or you can browse the Books By Tali Spencer page. But just for fun here’s a quick rundown of my titles:

M/M books

Sorcerer’s Knot – to quote a reviewer “it’s all fun and games until someone gets tentacle-raped.”

The Prince of Winds – the book that was stolen and published illegally by an evil thief. True.

Dangerous Beauty – there’s nothing Endre won’t do for his family... even if it leads to trouble.

Devil’s Night Anthology – in my story, an Andean snake demon seeks the perfect sacrifice. [ebook and paperback]

M/F book 

Captive Heart – who says being captured by a big-nosed emperor can’t be fun? [ebook and paperback]

Look for excerpts from these books tomorrow and Sunday! Requests will be considered. For today, here’s one of my personal faves from The Prince of Winds.
 
Rimmon woke first, pulled away from sleep by images of black-sailed ships walking upon water, their thousand legs moving in rippling unison. His eyes opened to deep silver shadows, then drifted to the window through which pink clouds striped a pewter sky. Melkor’s arm draped over his, a warm, possessive restraint of bone and muscle. Lulled, he slipped back toward slumber, wrapped in the masculine scent of semen and musk. The Hordish prince’s beard grazed his shoulder and an insistent erection pushed against his buttocks, arousing him enough that he groped back toward wakefulness. He remembered then. He and Melkor had coupled urgently, even savagely, and then, after bathing, had eaten and made love. They’d touched and nuzzled and indulged their mouths with each other’s cocks, then coupled once more before they’d curled their bodies together for sleep.

Black ships, striding the water. Where had that image come from? He had only heard of ships before, never seen one except in drawings, and now he saw many. It did not feel like a dream. He listened, hearing the slap of waves against rocks far below. Ayet’s call drew his eyes again to the window, and he saw her, wings and spread tail glowing red with the first light of dawn as she downstroked to land on the window ledge. She had left her perch, as she often did at the sunrise, to hunt.
Stirring, Melkor moved over him, smiling down with a predator’s smirk.

“How do you like being a trophy now?”

“Ships,” Rimmon said, seeing still what Ayet had seen.

With a swiftness that surprised him, Melkor bounded from the bed. He raced to the window, where he stared for a moment into the distance.

“Where?”

“I don’t know. Ayet saw them, I think. Black ships, with black legs, walking the water.”

A tight snarl broke across Melkor’s face. Striding to the terrace, bending down to grasp one of the smaller carpets along the way, he snapped it out, sending it flying. The rug landed floating at knee-height above the stone floor and the prince seated himself upon it. Within moments, before Rimmon realized what he was doing or could run to join him, Melkor was over the wall and high above the sea. Ayet, sensing the excitement, squawked, and Rimmon issued an order: Follow!

Check out all the other blogs in the Backlist Blog Hop for more opportunities to discover and win books by authors you love... or may soon grow to love!

29 comments:

  1. Thats a difficult choice! I am going to say fantasy :-) Thank you for the chance to enter! wendynjason04@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I've read some of your stories on lit, but I don't think I've read any sci-fi. So I think trying sci-fi to see if you like it would be good.
    loriwarwick220@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I take that back as Useful Things is sci-fi. But still sci-fi.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In fact, Useful Things is a candidate to be that next story I expand to novel length. :D Thanks, Lori!

      Delete
  4. I really love your fantasy stories, but I would be interested to see a science fiction story from you.

    strive4bst(At) yahoo(Dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've read too much fantasy lately, so it's definitely sci-fi.

    nostolgiclikeyou@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. For me it depends on the world-building and characters, but I tend to get into fantasy more easily than most sci-fi.

    vitajex(at)aol(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am going with fantasy, but sci fi works too! Jason.jacobs47 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ohh Sci-Fi for sure ... well but that's because I like that more, maybe because it's less unrealistic.
    leo.v.s at aol dot com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fantasy :D
    alinutza4u2004[at]yahoo[dot]co[dot]uk

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like both, but prefer SF because so much fantasy is medieval and Eurocentric to the point of...never mind, lol!
    Urb
    brendurbanist@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love reading the older books. They are gems. I prefer Sci Fi but I do read fantasy.
    debby236 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  12. How about fantasy? I suggest m/m fantasy, with a great romance involved; a love that grows and grows each time the two see each other -- a love that is so powerful that there is an actual physical ache when they are away from one another. I'm imagining a love so incredible; one where yearning doesn't even being to describe the need of one love for another.

    Jim
    Lakeviewfella@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. fantasy please - I love the stories you posted on Lit. acbauer at aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. My favorite is paranormal.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I prefer fantasy over sci fi! Thanks for taking part in the backlist blog hop!
    OceanAkers @ aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fantasy all the way

    oncerfan (at) yahoo (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love fantasy books, I have a hard time staying involved in Sci-fi books for some reason. Please count me in.

    Thank you,
    Seiran
    dbfield22@msn.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Fantasy!! lol... I like fantasy much, much more~
    Though, if you do a Sci-fi I wouldn't mind it either. I like it too. ;) But fantasy is a first for me. :3

    Judi
    arella3173_loveless@yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  19. I like science fiction and fantasy books but the ones that really capture my heart are the fantasy books.

    Chris

    christi_kat25@yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  20. That's a hard one - a year ago, I'd have said Fantasy, no questions asked. But Sci-fi is so broad and I've seen some good ones that, maybe I ought to take as stab at something new. Yeah, that's it new.

    Sci-fi!

    andrewqgordon@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. Either one would be great, but you have a lot less science fiction on the backlist, so I'd like to see you try that genre again.

    Garretthief@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. I like both but generally prefer fantasy.

    bmhutson@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. I vote fantasy! Thank you for the opportunity to win.

    Thanks
    Karl
    slats5663(at)shaw(dot)ca

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love when I discover an author and find out they have an extensive backlist, just more for me to love. ;-)

    All the best on your next story. As for my choice, I have to go with fantasy, but sci-fi is a close second.

    Thanks for the chance to win!

    caroaz [at] ymail [dot] com

    ReplyDelete
  25. It's a hard choice...both are great genres. I've always been a bit more inclined towards Fantasy so that's what I'll have to pick. Thanks for the chance to win =)

    humhumbum AT yahoo DOT com

    ReplyDelete
  26. I prefer Fantasy over Sci-fi but read both.

    And I love 'older' books :)

    penumbrareads(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  27. That's hard. I think Science Fiction and Fantasy a close second.

    smurfettev AT gmail DOT com

    ReplyDelete
  28. I'd be interested in some new science fiction!!!

    sara(dot)bowerman(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete