Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Wednesday Briefs: Useful Things #20


Welcome back to Wednesday Briefs, in which writers post a 500-1000 word flash story—or episode, in my case—based on the weekly prompts. This week I am concluding the M/M science fiction story I’ve been posting, “Useful Things,” using the prompt: use a windmill.

If you’d like to read the story from its beginning, click here. [Chapter 1]

You’ll find links to the other Wednesday Briefs bloggers at the end of this post.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Useful Things 20


When Jesse reached for the boots he’d worn the day before, Majak stopped him. “Not those,” he said.

Majak walked to a service cabinet and returned with a package he placed in Jesse’s hands. “I communicated with base yesterday and had them retrieve the footwear you wore when we found you. I noticed you walked better in those. They were filthy, so I ordered Alaksu to replicate some for you.”

Jesse took the package and broke the seal. The shoes were shaped like those Osvith had given him, retrieved from a crumbling warehouse filled with human gear. Osvith had thought the shoes exotic and liked that they kept his feet from developing callouses. The shoes he held now were not relics, however, but new. The deep blue-grey color embellished by ridges of metallic gold in a cloven pattern mimicked the hoof shields worn by the Aeth.

“The first design was based on our attempt to alter our boots to fit your human foot, as we did with the shield skin,” Majak explained. “Our torsos and limbs are similar. Our feet, however, are too different. We did not need to invent something new. Humans already know how to make suitable footwear for their own kind.”

Flashing a smile, Jesse placed his right foot into the shoe. It fit nearly perfectly and much better than the altered Aeth boot had. He would find a way later to tell Majak about socks. Osvith had not given him those either, probably because the Aeth, with their hardened, non-sweating feet, did not wear socks for protection.

“Thank you,” he said, putting on the second shoe and then standing to test the fit. He might still get blisters, at least until he got some socks, but they would not be nearly so bad, and in the meantime he could walk normally. Where the shield skin met the shoe at the ankle needed adjusting, though. He sat back down to work on it.

The ankle tables were designed to attach to Aeth footwear and all he could do was tuck them into the tops of his shoes before tying the laces. The task gave him something to focus on other than Majak. He kept admiring the way Majak’s form-fitting shield skin emphasized the alien’s elegant frame, the powerful haunches and legs, and the thick muscled chest of a male in his prime capable of handling heavy weaponry—or a single human. The vambraces on Majak’s arms glinted with menace, reminding him that even an Aeth noble could be a warrior. Jesse clasped a lighter force shield vambrace around his left forearm and tried to drive from his mind all thoughts that belonged to a slave.

That was easier said than done. For one thing, Majak had not released him from bondage. It didn’t matter what name he used—Jesse or Rasvim—he remained a slave. According to Aeth law, he could be nothing else. His breathing settled and his limbs stopped threatening to shake as he realized his freedoms were limited to his master. Majak remained in control, would protect him and guide him and make sure he made no mistakes. Being set loose alone among the Aeth was the most terrible thing Jesse could imagine.

Majak’s ownership afforded protection.

“How do you wish to use me?” he asked.

“Stand,” Majak said. When Jesse did so, he made a warm noise of approval and said, “Remember all I have told you about how to behave. Your place is described; honor it and none will harm you. You wear my emblem”—he tapped the jewel-toned holograph on Jesse’s breast plate—“and it will be respected. Submit only to me. Speak only to me unless you have my permission to speak to another.  Alaksu. Urhal. Enir. These you may speak to without restriction. Others are less to be trusted.”

He recognized a warning in the confidence and met Majak’s steady gaze with his own. “Are you in danger?”

“Perhaps. Human sapience is not universally accepted by the Aeth. If some of these officers or holders knew what I was doing—better to make changes carefully, in ways that do not threaten them.”

“So I’m still your pet?” He needed to hear it.

Majak brushed his fingers against Jesse’s upraised cheek. “An amazing pet. Unlike any they can conceive.”

“But you want other humans to be like me, right? To think, to learn, to speak their minds?”

“I want to give them the chance to demonstrate what they are. The same chance I am giving you, my Rasvim.”

Jesse detected Majak’s careful wording. Whatever it was he ultimately wanted from humans, he was not sure of finding. It hinged intangibly on intelligence or some use for it. All Jesse could be sure of was if Majak found humans useful in a better way than he’d experienced so far, he wanted to help Majak uncover it. He did not think the Aeth would be leaving Earth anytime soon. He wasn’t even sure he wanted that to happen. The criminals would just come back, the ones that weren’t here already. The remaining humans needed Majak just as much as he did.

“Call me Jesse,” he said.

Majak cocked his head, a telling hesitation. “Is that your wish?”

He nodded.

“Then I will do so, but only when we are alone. Do you understand why?”

“For the same reason I call you Majak only when we’re alone. Others would use it against me, and against you also.” The approval that warmed in Majak’s violet eyes told him he was right.

“This is going to be interesting,” Majak said.

They stepped out of the door together, into morning sunshine turned blue by the solar shield. A line of gleaming windmills sliced the cold bright air above the command complex as they walked toward it. New days, Jesse thought. 

He was still on Earth, treading the soil of his home world, but this wasn’t Kansas anymore.

END

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thank you for reading. I hope you’ve enjoyed this story. I decided to end it here because Rasvim has responded to Majak’s handling of him and has clearly emerged from his shell. I’ve also reached a point where I need to go back into earlier chapters and add/expand parts if I want to take it forward. So this is a good place to stop. I will probably extend “Useful Things” to full novel length later this year, because I am truly excited by these characters and what lies ahead for them. If I do that, commenters can count on the same bonus I’m giving everyone who commented on Thick as Thieves.

If you’re looking for other great stories, be sure to check out the other Wednesday Briefers, linked below:
Nephylim    
Lily Sawyer      
Cia Nordwell     
Victoria Adams      

31 comments:

  1. I've loved this series! It's made my every Wednesday for the past few months. Keep up the awesome work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks. :) There are reasons I can't post full novels on the blog, but I absolutely love writing these Wednesday Briefs because some of them turn into winners.

      Delete
  2. Oh shoot. I am going to miss Jesse and Majak. This story was always the first I checked each Wednesday. Not always the first I read, because soemtimes I kept it as a treat but allways the first to check out. Loved it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's such a compliment, thank you! :) I'll make the finished story available to commenters if the book gets published. It's great knowing people enjoyed it.

      Delete
  3. Ugggghhhh I am so addicted to this story!! I can't wait for continuance in the future!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this one will follow in the footsteps of Thick as Thieves and end up as a book. At least, that's the plan. Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  4. Thanks for a great read, Tali. I always look forward to Wednesdays to find out more. I look forward to reading your completed work when it is finished as I can't wait to find out what happens to Jesse and Majak.

    Thanks again. Jinty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Jinty. :D I'll let you and the other commenters know if anything happens.

      Delete
  5. End? :-( But I'm happy the way you've brought it together for us Wednesday readers (even if there are still a lot of questions :p). I can't wait for the day you expand this to full novel length! <3 Looking forward to whatever you come up with next, Tali ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really wanted to quit earlier (because I have very real reasons I shouldn't put up anything at all) but I was having sooo much fun writing this one!

      Delete
  6. I'm SO looking forward to the expanded version - I loved this story, Tali! Perfect mixture of slave/captor vibe with depth and hot as hell (as to be expected from you!). Thanks so much for sharing it with us. I look forward to what you come up with next! -Shira

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably more slave stuff. It's just so much fun to write! But who knows? I occasionally surprise myself. ;)

      Delete
  7. I will definitely be excited when you tell us you've finished an extended version. This book has fascinated me from the beginning. Maybe it is the psych major in me :) but I love the way it goes into the human mind and that of the Aeth too, along with the effects of the role Rasvim was given--that mindset of a slave. Your writing makes me try to step into the place of the characters, like imagining how horrifying it would be to never know if you could be invited to the Aeths' next meal--and not as a guest!
    I also can't imagine it will be even remotely easy for Majak to make other Aeth interested in how 'native' or unaltered humans think and live. Does he have any one single Aeth who has the interest in humans that he does, for his reasons? And why would any humans want to work with these aliens who took over their planet and kidnapped or killed other humans? I can't wait to see what it will accomplish to find more humans 'like Jesse.' And of course I can't wait for them to take their relationship to the next level! This promises to be an awesome book!
    ~cannd

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, Majak does have an ally or two, which is one reason I have to go back into the early chapters and build some stuff in. :) But yeah, I don't see the humans being all that cooperative. :-/ Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  8. I shouldn't be complaining because I am glad this is eventually going to be a full length book, but I am so sad to see this end here. I know that these two have great things ahead of them and I can't wait to read more. Thanks for the great story and good luck on the book.
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm kind of sad to end it here, too, to be honest. But it had to be done. You will get a chance to read the whole thing, though! One way or another. :)

      Delete
  9. Awwwww, this is definately one of my favorite of the Wednesday Briefs. I'm sad to see it go, but happy that you're going to expand it. Now I just have to tell myself that I can survive the wait.

    Thanks for sharing your talent and your characters with us. I'm, as always, anxious to see what's next.

    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kathy. I live for comments like yours. :) Glad you're enjoying the stories!

      Delete
  10. I've totally enjoyed this story and if you do publish please let me know and I will definitely get it. Did you say Thick as Theives is available. if so send me a link and i'll get it. Can't wait to see what those two got up to :) I think this is an excellent place and way to end. It's an ending without being an ending.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nephy! Thick as Thieves isn't available just yet. It's scheduled to be published in July/August. I wouldn't leave readers with no ending, but you understand, I hope, why I no longer put up whole novels. :( Can't do that anymore. But I also believe commenters shouldn't have to buy books they've already read partly... unless they want to, of course. :) I'll contact you with details. When Thick as Thieves is published, you can buy the book, or you can get a copy of the unedited story from me. And I think you'll have lots of fun with what Vorgell and Madd ended up doing! I added 50,000 words!

      Delete
  11. Oh shoot - you finished. No. What happens next????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Victoria, sorry about ending at the end of the first act. The story turned into a novel on me. :( Let's just say they go on to have more exploration, some sexual, some cultural, and run afoul of some nasty Aeth politics and even nastier humans harboring a secret of their own! (Yes, I've plotted this baby out.)

      Delete
  12. Absolutely awesome Tali. I love this world and cannot wait to read the full version later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And you will, Cia. You will. I mean, if you want to. :)

      Delete
  13. Sad to see it end, but I'm excited to hear that you have an expanded version planned! I will SO buy this book when it comes out! :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes! I am so excited to hear you will be making a novel out of this! I will be waiting patiently for it! That news just made my day!

    ReplyDelete
  15. An amazing read as always and can't wait to see what you come up with at a later time for Jesse & Majak.. also would love to see what happen to Enir

    ReplyDelete
  16. I only started reading this story over the last month but easily got caught up in it. I can't wait to see where it all goes when you decide to continue it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! This story has some pretty interesting things happening as it goes forward. :)

      Delete