Friday, October 26, 2012

Dreams of an Evil Witch

http://thebloghopspot.com/event-page/
This is my entry for the Howloween Blog Hop and I hope you have fun reading it. I’m offering prizes to people who comment: each of THREE winners gets one free book of their choice from my published books. The books are featured on the sidebar. Captive Heart is M/F and the others are M/M. Just leave a comment and an email so I can contact you if you win. Easy as that!

As to my dreams of being an evil witch…



The first Halloween I remember, I knew what I wanted to be when I set out on Trick or Treat: Malificent, the Evil Witch from Sleeping Beauty. She was everything I wanted to be: powerful, devious, answerable to no one and nothing except her own magnificent desires. Yep. That was my dream costume.

So what did my mother make me? Cinderella.

That's right. Subservient, ash-sweeping, bullied by her step-sisters Cinderella. The best reason she could give was that I was a blonde and evil witches are brunettes. I didn’t see what hair color had to do with it. I was evil, darn it! But that Halloween, I was a smiling-through-my-clenched-teeth Cinderella.

The next year, I was determined. I would be a witch. Malificent wasn’t the only witch around. The Evil Witch from the Wizard of Oz was… brunette, my mother informed me. I simply glared. That year, my mother sent me out as a fairy complete with wings and a sparkly star-tipped wand. I wanted to turn everyone into mice, especially my brunette little sister, who went as … you got it. She was a witch. A cute bright-eyed witch with a moon and black cat on her pointy little hat. Only the fact I found my sister useful for doing her share of the dishes spared her from my wrath.

A year later, I was still plotting to be a witch, but I decided to be devious. I took a pair of scissors to my long blonde hair and came out looking like a boy, not a princess. My mother cried.  That year, she made me Peter Pan.

I was getting older and decided to broaden my horizons. My mother clearly was set against me being a witch, but there were other equally attractive forms of evil and power. Morticia Adams was creepy. There was a vampire queen on Dark Shadows. And Elvira was strangely alluring. Evil sorceresses and vampires were within reach.

But no… that year my mother had her heart set on seeing me as Supergirl and my sister as Wonder Woman. I didn’t even like Supergirl. At least Wonder Woman had cool bracelets and a lasso. My mom argued that Supergirl was blonde. My sister, she explained, made a much better Wonder Woman.

I gnashed my teeth for another year… and the year after that. I gnashed my teeth until I was too tall and gangling to carry off childish costumes and could be relegated to chaperon duty for my terminally cute dark-haired sister and two younger brothers. I officially hated Halloween. But then it happened…

My freshman year in college, I got invited to a Halloween party. My mother suggested I go as Princess Leia… but I said no way. I was going to choose my own costume. Accompanied by my sister and using money I had saved for a rainy day (it was sunny, but what the heck), I went a local Renaissance Faire. I bought the coolest faux leather bustier and barbarian skirt. A black cloak I trimmed later at home with fur from an old coat. A cool belt and fake sword. I had a skull necklace at home, and a few other accessories to complete my look. I was a surly, powerful, not-to-be-messed-with blonde barbarian bitch!

I was a total hit with the guys. Turns out men like barbarian bitches. (For the record, the picture is not me, but Callisto from Xena.)

Over the years, I refined my look. I bought real leather: Roman-style skirt, kick-ass boots, lace-up bustiers with studs and chain mail cups. Hot antlers. Real swords, daggers, and maces. I can be a barbarian or a sorceress in a long, flowing dress with a neckline that would appall dear old mom, though she’s long since come to terms with my wicked side.

In my mom’s eyes, I’ll always be her pretty blonde princess, like the one on my Captive Heart cover. That’s how she sees me. She framed that cover.

But at heart, her little girl is an unrepentant witch.

*******

Visit the other blog hop participants [HERE] to enter their contests for more great prizes! If you’d like to enter my contest, just comment below and leave your email. My trusty poodle and I will pick a winner by random drawing on the morning of November 1st, right after Halloween!

41 comments:

  1. Please include me! tmadamski(at)msn(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please count me in! :)

    christi_kat(at)yahoo[dot]com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the pictures and the story, Tali! I would never pick what my children were (once they were old enough to make choices). And witches can be blonde too!

    I didn't like traditional roles even back then - I went as Mary Poppins one year, Granny Clampett another lol Nowadays when I cosplay, I tend to dress as a man - go figure lol

    Thanks for being part of the hop! Scoot on over to my place when you get the chance!

    Count me in!
    Julie
    shelley_runyon@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My kids got to be whatever they wanted, too. :) My mom is a sweetheart, she just never wanted any evil or ugliness in our lives. As for me... Granny Clampett is looking like a keeper anymore. :D Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. Thanks for doing the hop!

    kimberlyFDR@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Halloween!

    Lasha
    mslasha@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. even at an early age, you were a witch in your soul! good for you! Happy Hallowe'en!

    brendurbanist AT gmail DOT com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. May my broomstick always fly. :) Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  7. My mom was always great about letting me be whatever I wanted to be for Halloween. She also sewed most of the costumes. Halloween is the best holiday, imo lol

    hayley.b.james@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may love Halloween more than Christmas. It's close. Presents are hard to beat. :) Thanks for stopping by, Hayley!

      Delete
  8. Thank you for doing the hop.

    MFierydrgn@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Barbarian Bitch sounds like a great job description...I wonder how I can sign up for that...Please count me in.
    Thank you, chellebee66(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would totally sign up for that. One of the best things about science fiction and gaming cons is going in costume and acting out. :) You're in!

      Delete
  10. Thanks for participating in the Hop.
    strive4bst(At) yahoo(Dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I liked your Zena look. Count me in please.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loved that show. How many girls yearned to be Xena? She was my idol. :) You're in, Nancy!

      Delete
  12. I giggled at your mom thwarting all the time. I especially love you as Callypso from Xena.

    smurfettev AT gmail DOT com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Moms exist to thwart. I found that out when I became one. :) We laugh about it now. Fun times. Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  13. Lol man~ your mom at first I thought she just used the hair excuse cuz she didn't want any witches but then your sister got to be one so I guess she really believed that wigs aren't for kids, lol. Cute story~ although I'm sure you didn't think so when you were little. Sleeping Beauty was always one of my favorites as a child because I loved Malificent~ she was just so fantastically evil! Thank you for the hop :)

    MostlyMisha AT gmail DOT com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't Malificent great? I never did get to be her, but she remains one of my all time faves! Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  14. I was always lucky because my mom let me dress as whatever I wanted. I always tended to lean toward villains in my childhood as well, Ursula from The Little Mermaid, being my favorite.

    Jyl22075 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you're lucky! Halloween is such a great time for kids to explore their inner creative selves. Ursula is great! A little later than my time, alas, but I would have loved to be her. :)

      Delete
  15. Great post! Love the Callisto example (yes, I'm a Xena fan) :D

    Buffy Kennedy
    buffykennedy[at]gmail[dot]com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Buffy. Xena set a high standard for barbarian bitches. The best. :)

      Delete
  16. LOL, I loved your post, I was all the girly girl ones too, from Cinderella to a Ballerina. Never got to be a witch either.

    vampiremistress2010(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And now you're a vampire mistress. :D It all works out, doesn't it? Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  17. I enjoyed your post. I use to love watching Xena. I never dressed up for Halloween when I was a kid.
    sstrode at scrtc dot com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for allowing us to Hop with You!

    taina1959@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for doing the hop. By the way, I enjoyed Prince of Winds.

    raziya.harriat@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for the delay in posting, but Sandy got in a few blows. Talk about winds! :D I'm so happy to hear you enjoyed Prince of Winds. It was probably the most fun to write of my stories so far. :)

      Delete
  20. What a great post. By the way oh your Xena picture brought back memories. I loved dressing up for Halloween..Still do.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for joining the hop!

    theblackabyss99@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. If i'm still in time, please count me in!
    And omg! Callisto! I totally loved her. lol... she was just the right kind of evil crazy. lol

    Judi
    arella3173_loveless@yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  23. Happy Halloween!! Thank you so much for the awesome hop and giveaway! :)
    shadowluvs2read(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh boy only minutes left til the end of the Hop. Count me in I'm not sure which book I want yet but if I win you'll be the 1st to know. ;)
    I'm a follower-ceagles48218@yahoo.com

    Chris
    ceagles48218@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete