Saturday, August 11, 2012

Saturday Snark

Here's an interesting blog hop idea, courtesy of Marie Sexton. It's called Saturday Snark, and it consists of just a few snips from your book in which your characters are being snarky.

snark·y  (snärk)
adj. snark·i·er, snark·i·est Slang
1. Rudely sarcastic or disrespectful; snide.
2. Irritable or short-tempered; irascible.
[From dialectal snark, to nag, from snark, snork, to snore, snort, from Dutch and Low German snorken, of imitative origin.]

Now, I don't do snark as well as some authors I know (looking around...) but I did find this gem in Captive Heart. Julissa is the heroine and Petraeus is her younger brother. Her older brother, Lorant, kidnapped and forcibly married the Uttoran princess, Adora, who is talking with them here:

Julissa watched the way Adora’s gaze assessed the handsome Petraeus. Something about that look stopped the breath in her throat, but she couldn’t quite put her finger on it.

“There are many Uttorans I would like to meet.” Encouraged by her attention, Petraeus pressed his conversation forward. “Under my instructors at the academy, I have studied the tactics of your great general, Darius Arrento. His defeat of three united tribes of the Pargeans at Cealta showed masterful deployment of cavalry.”

Something softer touched Adora’s mouth, almost a smile. “I know Darius well. He is a very good friend of my brother’s.”

With a whisper of leather and velvet, Lorant joined them and leaned over his wife’s silk-draped shoulders. Pale lashes swept down over his ice-blue eyes as his gold hair brushed Adora’s cheek. She did not so much as flinch.

“Maybe someday my sweet wife’s brother will send the great Arrento against something stronger than skin-clad rustics and kingdoms past their prime.”

“You mean like this one?” she rejoined coolly.

Lorant’s neck flushed red and Petraeus looked taken aback. But Julissa couldn’t help feeling Adora was the most interesting person she had met in ages.

“You see how she is,” Lorant said amiably to his siblings. “She has the Leonnte tongue, famed for flapping. Of course, we all know how her brother uses his tongue. Rumor in his own capital credits him with lying beneath men as though he were a woman, and sucking cock with the enthusiasm of a whore. Maybe I should have kidnapped him for my bed instead of this close-mouthed slut.”

“I do suck your cock, Lorant. It’s sour and unpleasant.”

Julissa flushed at hearing a woman speak so. Beside her, Petraeus appeared to be all ears.

If you enjoy a little snark in your day, please take time to visit the other authors contributing to this little hop. Trust me, you won't be disappointed!

7 comments:

  1. Uck, I hated Lorant, that whiny, sniveling bitch, the first time I read about him, and Adora just commands attention because she is so poised and smart. Not to mention that all the good people in your stories get their hearts' desires.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! Thanks so much for joining in!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL, she's still as snarky as I remembered. :)

    ~M

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was great! I really enjoyed that. Congrats on the upcoming release!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooooh... no she didn't! Awesome!

    ReplyDelete