Saturday, March 31, 2012

Pulling the Trigger

Okay, I did it.  I shot off the request to have some of my stories taken off from Literotica.  Captive Hearts and Dangerous Beauty are coming down.  The Prince of Winds is already history.

And here's the reason: I have a chance to get them published.  Some publishers won't even look at work that has been posted on the internet.  Those publishers who do, however, ask that a work not be available on free sites while under consideration.  They have good reasons for this, and the biggest one ties into my second reason.

A story that's out there for free is defenseless.

Anyone can simply take that story, copy it, say they wrote it, and put it up as their own.  They can even send it to publishers themselves or publish it on Amazon and sell it.  And if I was okay with that, there wouldn't be a problem.  Lots of people are okay with it.  But I'm not, which is why I pop for $35 to register a story's copyright before I put it up anywhere.  It's not much protection, but it's something. The fact remains that posting a story online creates problems for publishers over the work's provenance.

I love making my stories available to readers and getting comments, good or bad. Readers taught me a lot on Lit. I learned, I laughed, and I winced a few times.  But mostly I grew . . . I grew as a writer, and I grew a thicker skin.  The latter is important.  I've always championed the value of maintaining perspective, but the only way to maintain perspective on my own work has been to put enough work out there that the pain gets spread around.  I was able to put up a fair number of stories on Lit.

The stories aren't dead.  Far from it.  For one thing, anything put on the internet is never truly dead.  But all three stories are also currently out to publishers.  I hope they get picked up.  In the meantime, should any readers from Literotica stray over here to my blog, they will find the next generation of those stories, and others, underway and being posted as excerpts.  I also will be buying 5 copies of any book I do manage to get published and giving them away to readers.

My ultimate goal as a writer is to make my work as available as possible.

But it won't be the same.  It was nothing short of magical to pop on in the morning, hoping to see that my chapter had been posted, waiting for the comments, finding out what readers thought.

I'm deleting part of my life . . . and it hurts.

7 comments:

  1. Oh, I can well understand why. Yeah, it does hurt having to do that and it's not an easy choice. But sometimes, it's the only choice.

    ~M

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's especially hard when someone just favorited all five chapters of the story. :( Makes me feel like I'm letting those readers down. But if I want to publish the books, I have to do it.

      Delete
  2. It will be hard, not being able to go read these 'books' each time I log on to Lit. But I completely understand... as will the rest of your readers. You have to do what is best for you. Between the chance of getting something published (which is HUGE) and the risk of someone stealing your work... it was time. It's sad that there are people out there taking other peoples work and trying to sell it as their own. These people really do ruin it for those of us who just love to read the stories posted on free sites (like Lit). I am happy that you'll be posting excerpts here... and the chance to get one of your published stories is what outweighs the fact that we will no longer be able to just hop on Lit and re-read one of your stories for the hundredth time!

    All that being said, good luck getting everything published!!!! I can't wait to see the cover art for all three stories (PoW, CH, DB)!!! And to actually have a hard copy to read will be amazing!! I have faith that you'll get them all picked up... and I can't wait until they finally come out :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! I tend to vanish on Sundays, but I catch up on Mondays. :) I also love reading the free stories on Lit, because there are some truly talented writers there whose work I follow. And it's a great place for discovering new writers, too.

      Like you, I can't wait to see any cover art! I'm on pins and needles about "Sorcerer's Knot" and what Dreamspinner comes with as cover art for that story.

      Delete
  3. Ha! I just spent my evening reading them all, except, of course, The Prince of Winds, damn my timing. They were wonderful, far above the usual Literotica fare. I thoroughly enjoyed the world-building, the various characterisations, and the sex :)

    I wish you all the best with publishing, and I'll keep an eye on your blog to make sure I find out as soon as your stories are available.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It makes my day to hear a reader has enjoyed my stories!

      I've only sold one novella so far, "Sorcerer's Knot," which was never on Lit, but if any of the others sell, you'll hear it here first. Or at least after my real life friends who get to hear me squee. :D And because my blog has pretty light traffic, the chance of getting a free book is pretty darn good!

      Delete
  4. sorry to see them come down off lit, some of my favs
    but definetly good luck with publishing let us know when and where they're out
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete