Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Last Trimester Blues

No, not me.  Been there, done that, not all that keen on doing it again. However, I'm having the most amazing time writing a pregnant heroine. She's not typical, not happy to be pregnant, and she's looking forward to ridding herself of the baby once it's born.

What I like best is she's her own person and is determined to live life on her terms, not those dictated by her condition. She didn't choose to become pregnant, by the way, but was impregnated against her will by an evil (now dead) husband. So here she is in her third trimester, very round and clearly with child, and she finds herself falling for a man. She's interested, and he's confused.

And here's the thing: she's having an uncomplicated pregnancy. My own were like that. I scared people by running, lifting heavy objects (and toddlers) and eating whatever I wanted once mild morning sickness had passed. I worked in a department where all my co-workers were men and I had them so flustered it was hilarious.

When a woman's belly enters the room before the rest of her, (most) men don't look at her and envision nights of hot steamy sex. Quite the opposite.  Even talking about sex made my co-workers look at me for permission to proceed, as if they had somehow caused my unfortunate condition. But I can speak from experience that pregnant women aren't devoid of sexual interest.  Heck, I was horny up to the start of labor pains.

I'm not sure if I'm going to have Adora have sex while pregnant. I'm more concerned about how readers will react than my ability to craft a hot sex scene. All those curves, the lushness, the round breasts and raging hormones make for sensuous description. But will readers buy a man being attracted enough to a woman to want to go there?  They will if I can sell it.

So often in romances, sex is expected to culminate in the man claiming the woman through intercourse. This time, I think, Adora is going to claim him. He's already surprised at being attracted to her. He's in for the surprise of his life when she makes her move. Yeah. Game on.

6 comments:

  1. *Snicker*

    Saw the title of that post and damn near fell over, lol.

    Yeah, I think you should go for it. That poor character is gonna get his mind blown. ;) What fun!

    ~M

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gotta love a girl who's used to getting what she wants. :) Adora loves cock and she's going for gold.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, will you be posting this on Lit, or is it eBook format only? I've been waiting on this one for what seems like forever (but has only been a couple weeks) Great job on all your stories.

    ~*~MendyD~*~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right now I'm not thinking of it as an e-book. That might change if I sell Captive Hearts to a publisher. But for now, it looks like this one is headed to Lit. :)

      Delete
  4. I've been following your stories on Lit forever! And I've commented on several too :-) I don't know why it took me so long to find your blog, but I'm so happy I did!!! I've been waiting, as patiently as possible, for the next Uttor story. Even though its been months (and months and months, lol)... I still check in like once a week or so to see if somethings been posted. So, to know that you are actively writing Adora's story totally gets me geeked!! I seriously can't wait! And the fact that she's pregnant and not happy... a twist that will be very welcomed. I, for one, would be fine with her having sex while pregnant. Some women can be very sexy when they're pregnant... and depending on how you write it, I think it could definitely work. But, I guess we'll all just have to wait and see what that wonderfully creative mind comes up with, won't we?!?!

    That being said, I saw that you took down "Prince of Winds" (and I read why). I totally understand, though I'm bummed I can't read it when I want to now. But- YAY for submitting it to a publisher! It's definitely worthy!! By far one of my favs.

    Anyways-- it's awesome that you're still writing, and I can't wait for the next chapter set in Uttor :-) I absolutely love your writing and will be keeping an active eye out for the posting!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Naughty! I was wondering how readers would feel and you just helped me with that answer. Pregnant girls just want to have fun, too. Once a guy gets past the baby (so to speak), there's a whole woman for him to get to know.

      Delete