Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Writing: Turning Points

My favorite moments in a story aren't the hot scenes, much as I enjoy the juicy bits, but the turning points.  You know, those places in the story where a character gets slammed upside the head with something that turns his world inside out.  The moment where something, maybe even everything, changes.

I love writing those moments.  They're my payoff for all my hard work at layering in exposition, foreshadowing, dialogue bits, suspicions and lies and truth.  They're where I deliver my character over to everything he's wrought or wanted and he's facing the result.

I just wrote a turning point for a character standing atop cliffs like these, and the giant tentacled things he sees trying to climb out of the sea make him scream like a baby.  Well, okay, maybe he doesn't scream--but he will later.  Oh yes, he will.

1 comment:

  1. Oooooh! Can't wait, can't wait! *wink*

    That was a totaly cool picture. I can see it in my mind now perfectly.

    I'm all for screaming. ;)

    ~M

    ReplyDelete