Monday, January 30, 2012

Book Covers

Good news!  My youngest son visited over the weekend and we got to talking about my desire to e-publish some of my work and . . . . he volunteered to create cover illustrations for the books I publish!

Why is this good?  Because he's a first-rate artist, for one thing.  He makes his living at photography, web design and illustration, including character design.  For another, he's tech savvy, so can make sure the covers work with e-formats.  Not to mention there'll be no issues with licensing or rights to the images used.  Oh, and he's not charging me, either.  :)  That's my repayment for having sent him money every month for all four years he was in art school and keeping secret from his father that he wasn't living in a dorm, but was sharing a beat-up old house with six other struggling artists.

Best of all, I will have a lot more say in the final product than I would with an e-publisher.  If I want to show a teenage boy and an immense supernatural god-machine on the cover, I get my god-machine.  And the kid will at least look like my hero.  That kind of thing.  And if I do find an e-publisher willing to publish my books, I'm not out anything . . . even if they don't use my covers, I will have some nifty illustrations.  :D

I sent him two novels this morning and he will be sending me sketches in a month or so.

4 comments:

  1. Oh wow, he is? That's so great! Way to go you, lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, he is! I'm squeeing, even though it's ridiculous for a mother to squee about a kid helping her. I mean, I used to be able to tell him he had to do things! And make it stick. :)

      Delete
  2. That's awesome. I did the cover art on one of my novels and it was such a kick. A clost friend of mine has done the art on the other two. It's so much more personal than the one than the cover artist did for me on my first. It's beautiful, don't get me wrong, just not so personal. Now, whenever you look at your books you will have two reasons to be proud. For yourself at writing the novels, and at him for his wonderful art. You are so lucky. My daughter couldn't draw a circle let alone a book cover.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true, I will be proud of him. It makes the artwork that much more special. My office already has framed originals he did (if he ever becomes worth collecting, I'm set for life), and also with framed covers from my already published books. It's weirdly egotistical but fun, too. :D Thanks for reminding me!

      Delete